Monday, December 17, 2007

5 days...

until winter solstice.
This morning's temp was 22 degrees, feels like 10 degrees according to Weather.com. I decided that today was not a good day to ride in the sub-freezing temps. I think 25 degrees with no wind is my cut off. And, it is winter, we are supposed to be hibernating.

I was thinking about life Saturday in Roanoke as I was riding around Carvin's Cove. It is amazing to me the ways the we make ourselves feel good. Some of those ways are fine and healthy, and some are not. Good food, exercises, sleeping in. These are all fine in moderation.

But that was not what I focused on. My thoughts revolved around how we can make ourselves feel better if we can find a characteristic in someone else that makes us look good. For instance, a person steals stuff. I say to myself, "Self, I am better than him, because he steals stuff and I don't". Yeah, that is some good logic. Let's continue: I don't speed, I am better than that person speeding, I don't overeat, I am better than that person overeating. I don't kill, hate etc, I am better than that person who does those things. I think you get my drift.

The thing I have learned that I still struggle with, is this: I am no better than anyone else. Once you come to grips with this statement, and embrace it, it becomes so much easier to love your neighbor.

Stay Warm

No comments: