Sunday, December 30, 2007

Motive

What is your motive? Why do you do the things you do? What is the result? Some things to chew on.

Yesterday, Rhonda and I went for a ride in Bent Creek. It was a foggy wonderland of trees enshrouded in mist. We were unable to see the ridge tops. We rode 15 miles.

Later, we went to Second Gear, this is a used outdoor gear thrift shop. You can find some really cool deals there. I bought a stationary trainer for Rhonda. Now she will be able to train in the shed, while Jubal is playing in the yard.

We also went to see " I Am Legend". The only hokey part about this movie was the people who were infected turned into some sort of vampire monster things. But, they did such a good job that I did not mind too much.
The idea that I liked best about the movie is that God speaks to us in many different ways. And he does have a plan for us. "But, what is this plan for me?", you ask. I would say that most likely that plan is doing what you are doing right now.

I currently work at Camp Rockmont, in Black Mtn. I work in the personnel office. I answer the phone, help parents get their kids registered, help staff get hired, and help whoever needs help around the office.

5 yrs ago I was into whitewater paddling. I was paddling up to 5 days per week. ( That was back when we had rain). I decided to pursue white water instructor status and get into teaching. I did this in Kayak and Canoe, two skills that are similar yet very different. After I got certified, we moved to Durango, Colorado, where I had found a job teaching paddling. Only, there is no paddling in the fall and winter. So, we found another job to subsidize ( more on that another time). Everything was lined up before we got there, even a place to live. It was great!!! Fairly stress free.

Then strange things started happening. The people we worked for for 5 yrs didn't tell us goodbye. We got to CO and the house that had been "lined up" had not been lined up. Rhonda was pregnant( this was not a bad thing, just with everything else going on, it added to the stress). And the list went on. I was not able to find another job that would support our family.

So, we had an option, to move to Las Vegas with my brother and his family, or move to Asheville, with some friends there. We chose Asheville. And in a nutshell, I got a job at Starbucks, then a job at a mental health agency, they cut funding, so I worked at Starbucks again, and roofing ( ouch, that hurts), then I got another job full-time job at Families Together Inc. It was a great job and I learned a lot. I worked there until one year ago. My supervisor and I had a great discussion. She basically said, " You don't like your job". I had to agree. So, they liked me so much, they kept me as a handyman to work on the new property they had purchased.
Then last March, the state dept. of mental health cut funds again. I got laid off. My boss gave me 4 months to find a new job. ( he said that this was one of the hardest things he had done). Two days later, I went to a camp job fair at App State ( yes, the national champions). Two weeks later, I had a job at Rockmont.

Don't tell me there is not a God who cares about us. He is real, and he is there, and he sometimes speaks to us in a still small whisper that you hear. That voice in your head that says to feed the hungry, or to care for the fatherless and the widows. The one that says to love your neighbor as yourself. The voice that says " Seek and you will find".

Never stop seeking.

Have a great day.

No comments: