Friday, April 03, 2015

Spring Break 2015 Part 1

 We loaded up and headed down the mountain to Hamilton Branch State Park with the sailboat in tow.  We had never been to this lake or campground so we were unsure of what to expect.  I get so stressed out when planning and prepping for these trips that it really puts a damper on things sometimes.  Something I really need to work on.  There is not point in getting stressed about something that should be fun.  We just need to go more, so I have more practice! 
 The campground is huge.   The sites were spread out, but the bathhouses are few and far between.  We chose a spot close to one, but it appears that the way to go is either have a golf cart, or drive to the bathhouse if you are not close.   
 I tried to keep the meals simple with no mess.  Bratwurst and eggo type waffle on tinfoil over the fire worked well.  I put p-nut butter and honey on my waffles.  Finger foods= no messy dishes to wash.  For dinner on nite #1 we had hot dogs, with chili, and baked beans on the side.  Setting the can of beans and chili on the grill works really well.  Nite #2 we had frozen pizza on the griddle.  Simply place griddle on the grill over the hot coals, place pizza on the griddle, cover with tin foil,  wait 15-20 minutes, and boom,  hot pizza!!  
 Since we were two weeks out from the Pisgah MTB stage race, I felt like I should take my bike and ride every day.  I only go one ride in.  Oh well.  I rode a part of the Steven's Creek Trail, aka Modoc.  Fun punchy narrow single track.  
 On the way back to camp, I could not resist taking a spin on the Modoc Speedway. 
 While we were there, we got to experience a pollen storm.  Huge billowing clouds of pollen, leaving the dust covering everything.  I've never seen anything like that before. 
 And of course,  there was plenty of boat time.    This was great for testing out the sailboat with the back up motor.  We want to get back to Charleston Harbor,  but don't plan on getting swept out by the tidal current again.  The motor weighs about 42 pounds and after re-rigging the boom,  everything seems to work fine. 
 On the way home, we stopped in Spartanburg to skate, scoot and walk on the rail/trail.  That is when we discovered Bull Hawgs Barbecue right on the trail.  It smelled delicious and tasted even better. 



No comments: