Saturday, June 14, 2008

Father's Day Weekend

It has been a great weekend so far. Actually my weekend is kind of over since I have to work on Sunday. It is an opening day for camp, so I get to hand out name tags and greet kids as they arrive.

Friday night I got home to a very excited family. I barely got in the door when Jubal started yelling about me having a present. I tried to calm him down, to no avail, since I was dripping in sweat and needed to change out of my cycling clothes. He would not wait. He grabbed one of those gift bags that one uses so no wrapping is needed, and proceeded to open it and tell me to guess what it was. I could not guess. He finally pulled it out. It was my very own remote controlled motorcycle. Sweet!!


Guess who plays with it more than I do?? Not Rhonda....

Saturday we got up and for some reason I looked under the house to check on the hot water heater. Unfortunately it had degraded to the point that I could see a stream of water running down the side. I guess I know what I'll be doing later today I thought. But first, I had promised Jubal and Rhonda a hike, and one that might include a swimming hole.
So off we went, to get breakfast at West End Bakery, then to Big Creek. Destination: Midnight Hole. I have heard about this place quite a bit but never made the trek over there. It is about 45 minutes west of Asheville near the Pigeon River. After parking the trail led us up a gentle slope for 1.5 miles. Once arriving at the destination, we find a groups of people jumping off of the 15 ft high rock into an aqua pool. The water is deep and clear, deep enough that one cannot see the bottom. Not able to resist the draw of jumping off of something into the water, I make my way out to swim to the jumping rock. The water is cold enough to chill me to the bone. By the time I swim out, jump off and swim back to Jubal and Rhonda, I am sure that I might go hypothermic.

The hike back was fairly uneventful except for the spectacular crash that Jubal made, resulting in some loud crying and some bad scrapes:

After getting back home, I set to work. 4 hours later, we have a new hot water heater and pipes that are not leaking. One more project done!!!

Have a great day.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: