Friday, August 20, 2010

Intense

The Thursday night ride turned out to be a little more intense last night than previous nights.  The speeds were high and people were being shelled all over the place.  And that is normal.  But when folks start applying race tactics and purposely closing in on my line to take the wheel in front of me,  then I am done.  I'm not interested in playing that game.

I am all for training rides that mimic racing.  If you race on the road, you have to practice and that's great. 

But, to this point, the Liberty Bikes Road Ride has not been designed to do that.  It is billed as a fast paced, no one left behind ride. 

I'm all for going fast, I'm not opposed to getting dropped, it happens all the time. 

So, I guess the thing that is bugging me, is this:

Is it proper etiquette to come to a ride, and ride in such a way that you change the dynamics of what the ride has been since it was started?

There are so many riders/racers in the area, and so many rides/races to choose from, why is it necessary to come to another ride and instead of joining in and contributing to a smooth ride?

Again, I am all for race tactics,  they have their place, but the Thursday night ride is not one of them. What's next?  Head butts?

That said, if this is the direction that the ride is going, then it's usefulness for me has run out, and I will gladly "move over so someone else can have my line and the wheel in front of me".

No hard feelings, just disappointed to lose something that has meant so much to me this season.

Have a great day.

No comments: