Thursday, August 05, 2010

Thunderstorm

A huge thunderstorm rolled in around 4:15 yesterday.   I figured it would be gone in 45 minutes, when it was quittin' time.  I was wrong.  The cell settled on the ridgeline above camp.  I watched the weather radar for 30 minutes, looking for movement and hoping it would move away.  It never did. 

As my co-workers fiddled with plastic garbage bags, trying to figure out how to stay dry while walking to their cars, I was glued to the radar.   Finally the thunder let up for a moment, and seeing that the yellow zone on the radar, extended only to the end of the driveway, and the rain stopped in Swannanoa,  I headed out the door into the deluge. 

Without warm up, I time trialed down the road, soaking wet and listening to the thunder claps cause by lighting high up on the ridge.  As I rode away from the storm, the sun peered around the clouds and the road was less wet. 

After I was in the clear, I turned to see a mass of dark gray clouds obscuring the view of the mountains.  I could hear the rumble of thunder even after getting home.  

Have a great day.

No comments: