Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Food is Good

About 2.5 weeks ago I posted about improving my eating habits. I was feeling sluggish, tired, worn out, and probably a little grumpy.

I contacted Namrita for advice on a multi vitamin. Her advice for me was to skip the vitamin, for now, and focus on more fresh fruits and veggies, and to consider some Quinoa and salmon for added protein in my diet. There were a few other recommendations but that was the gist of it.

So, I went shopping. Bananas, apples, broccoli, cauliflower, tangerines, etc. All sorts of raw foods. And I started eating them. Carrots instead of chips for lunch, a tangerine first thing in the morning...well, second after coffee. Banana for a snack. ( on a side note, bananas make me gag, they are mushy and smell stanky, but if it will help me feel better, I'll give it a shot).

2.5 weeks later, I am excited to say that I feel really good. I have more energy. The mid afternoon slump is gone- except when I spend all of Sunday cutting through the forest with a chainsaw.

Another thing I have noticed is that I feel better on the bike. My energy is more sustained and when my body starts to run out of fuel, the sudden bonk that I have gotten used to experiencing, has become more of a mellow and slow onset of hunger. And this is quickly remedied by eating, or avoided by remembering to eat regularly.

My advice, eat more fresh fruits and veggies, simple.

1 comment:

The Evil MGE! said...

I can't handle bananas on their own either.

Instead I make a shake that usually has 1 banana, 1/3 cup blueberries, a few strawberries, 1 scoop of Jay Robb's Vanilla Whey Protein Powder, 1 scoop of Amazing Grass Chocolate Green Super Food, and a tablespoon of crushed flax seed.

I mix it up with the liquid, going between regular cow milk and Almond Milk though Almond milk has been my preferred choice of late.

This is actually my usual weekend pre-ride breakfast of choice.

I've found my body handles liquids better then solids during a ride so for nutrition on the bike I'm had success with mixing Heed and Perpetuum together in the same bottle. Either alone, I can't handle the taste, mix em and they become tolerable.