Monday, February 11, 2013

TNGA planning....continued

Planning, possibly the next best thing to actually executing said plan.   I have been eyeballing the Trans North Georgia Route for way too long now, and that doesn't look like it will change anytime soon.

I'm hesitant for a couple of reasons, the biggest being logistics.   I don't feel inclined to ask my wife and kid to drive the 5 hours to Rome Ga to pick me up when I finish.  I don't have the funds to pay Mulberry Gap to run the shuttle for me, part of which includes them driving my vehicle for the shuttle.  I'm sure they are nice people, but in general,  I don't let people drive my vehicle.

I looked at renting a Uhaul truck as an option-  $300 plus gas is more than I have right now,  but possibly an option in the future.   There are no car rental companies that rent from West Ga to Asheville.

Greyhound would let me ride for around $70 for a 16 hour trip...  I'm not good with strangers in tight spaces though,  I'm not considering that an option until I get desperate.

As we were driving through the Ocoee River Gorge last weekend, heading down to The Snake Creek Gap TT,  I caught a glimpse of the Cohutta and Big Frog Mountain Ranges.  The wheels started turning, and I realized that there must be a way to ride part of the TNGA route, and then ride north to the Ocoee Whitewater center.  2.5 hrs instead of 4.5-5 hours. 

So, I took the maps off the shelf, unfolded them and started searching.  After some google mapping, I pulled up the route for the Cohutta 100  and found my answer.  The routes intersect at aid station #3 and #6 of the Cohutta,  and share the same route to Jack's River Fields. 

And there is was,  an alternate route plan that will simplify logistics.  Just need to figure out what the mileage is from the eastern terminus to Jack's River Fields....

....and wait for the right time!

2 comments:

clay said...

The logistics of doing the whole route are tough but very doable, especially if you do the group start. After Dalton is perhaps the best part of the route - you don't want to miss that section!

My name is Stephen said...

one day I'll do the whole thing, but for now, its not a good option. I've ridden the snake creek gap section which is amazing, I look forward to riding it east to west. The group start is full with a waiting list so that option looks doubtful this year.