Thursday, March 22, 2018

I don't like riding bikes.....

..... all the time.
 There,  I said it.  Out loud.  For the world to hear.  I think its something that I have been struggling with for a long time.  The bike industry tells us to ride more, ride everyday, riding is life, anything else is boring. 

For a couple of years, I was on a training regimen.  I wanted to see what my body and mind were capable of.  I got stronger and stood on the podium a couple of times.  It was good. I worked hard and earned those spots and I'm proud of those trophies. 

But, now what?  I love to ride, no doubt about that.  But I also love to trail run, hike, windsurf, sail and believe it or not, I love to do projects around the house!  I also love bike packing and long distance/endurance rides. 
 So, that's what I'm gonna do.  All of the above.  I'll have to figure out a balance though, knowing that consistency is key in the cycling world.  I'll have to figure out how to keep up the miles and keep the steam in my endurance legs while at the same time enjoying all of the things I enjoy. 
 Yesterday, when the snow was falling and the wind was whipping, I got my mtn bike tuned up.  Replaced rotors and break pads,  cleaned and lubed the rear I-9 hub.  Then I went for a hike/run.  It was a blast, and I didn't feel guilty that I was not on my bike!  I had a great time, and didn't freeze my butt off like I would have if I were on my bike! 

Here's to a new chapter in the life of an appalachian lumberviking!

 
And next time the wind blows ( and it is 60 degrees or warmer, I'm going windsurfing)

No comments: