Monday, September 10, 2018

The Alternative

 Well,  8am Saturday rolled around and I was still in bed.  And it felt great.  The family was still asleep and I had no plans to ride my bike, much less act like I was going to race Pisgah Monster CX.   Someone bought my entry last minute on Friday afternoon and I was off the hook.  

We decided to hit the lake and the kid decided he wanted to give knee boarding a try.  Sweet.
 It took him a couple of tries, a bit of a fit, a little frustration and feeling sorry and then finally one more attempt and he was up and carving.   I'm so proud of him.   I remember my first time knee boarding....  I hope he looks back on this moment fondly. 
 We always stop at Subway and take sammiches with us for dinner, then we stay out as late as possible,  making it back in time to be off the lake by dark, and to DQ for desert.   The DQ in Old Fort is hit or miss though.  Tonight we walked in and there were 8 people waiting for frozen treats, and one dude making them.   Not tonight.  We piled back in the truck and went to our back up, McD's drive through.  Chocolate shake for me, no whip, no cherry!
Am I sad that I missed Pisgah Monster CX? Yes.  I worked hard to get ready for it.  It just didn't happen.  But,  I also got to participate in an amazing day with my family.  We did things, we accomplished things, we grew together and went home satisfied.  So, I'm satisfied.  

The upside is, I'm in better shape than I would have been 6 weeks ago, and I feel like I can do a 50 mile day.  One way to find out: Dirt Diggler  (unless the wind is blowing, then I'm going windsurfing!)

No comments: