Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Rough Winter

Got my first single speed mtn bike ride of the year in this week.  It felt great,  I'm weak as all get out, but it was nice to be rolling through the woods again. 

This winter has been rough on me.  I'm normally training for the Pisgah Stage Race, which is also rough, but this year, with no set goals in mind (other than to be the best dad and husband I can be) I did not feel the motivation to ride through the winter.  It was actually nice not to have that pressure. 

The upside is that I have been getting out and exploring on foot.  Doing some trail running, that sometimes looks more like hobbling.
 Those days that are blustery and cold, and snowy are perfect for trail running.  It is so much easier to stay warm. 

And then there are the other days, when I go out a little farther and explore something new.  Feeling the sun gradually warm the earth as I run the Mountains to Sea trail along the spine of Shortoff Mtn! 

I love riding my bike, but running is so simple!

I'm hoping to keep some running fitness through this spring and summer, and looking forward to riding in shorts!

No comments: