Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Nasty Weather..



It's interesting to me, and I am guilty, how many times we refer to the weather as nasty, terrible, or inclement, just because it is inconveniencing us. Last week it was a pouring down rainy gray day and a friend commented on how nasty it was. Just before that comment, I had been thinking what a beautiful rainy day it was. I was sitting in my warm office, and he had been working outside. Now, if things were switched, and I had been caught in that cold rain storm, would I think it was nasty? That's not the point. I try to remember that days like that serve a purpose, just like nice warm 60 degree days, like yesterday. And even more so, 100 degree days that are so humid you feel like you are breathing water. They all serve a purpose, and they only become nasty, or terrible, or awful, when they inconvenience us.


I was thinking about this yesterday and I realized that we treat people like this too. This person or that is fine, until they inconvenience us. Then they have all kinds of issues and problems and imperfections. Take for instance that sweet old lady out for a Sunday afternoon drive. That's great, until I get behind her and am hungry and ready to get somewhere to eat. Then she becomes that old woman who should not be driving. I could go on but I think you get the picture.


Things are fine, until they are an inconvenience. Then we do what we can to change that. For the weather, you wear the proper clothes, and you are protected. People are fine, until they become the inconvenience. Then we want to change them, but we can't. And, I am not aware of any clothes that can protect me from that annoying person in line behind me, who is standing too close to me and smells like week old cigarettes.


So, what are we to do? Tough question, what do we do with those people who annoy and inconvenience us to no end? The answer: Love them. Simple. We each serve a purpose. You may say forget that, or that's too much trouble, or some other lame excuse. But let me tell you a little secret. I guarantee that you are annoying and an inconvenience to someone at some point.




So, how about a little love?




Have a great day.






No comments: