Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Swank 65!

Don't forget about the 11th annual Swank 65!!

From the web-site:

The Swank 65 Mountain Bike Journey is mountain bike racing at it’s most primeval, far removed from civilization and polluted air. The race begins at 2500 feet, and consists of a triad of cloverleaf shaped loops winding around Gloucester Gap in Pisgah National Forest. Rolling over rugged mining roads, fun single track, tough climbs and hell-raising descents, the exhilarating course will test your skills and desire as you explore the devilish terrain of the Pisgah National Forest. 42 miles (65K) in length.


I have raced this two times. Last year, this was the first race I did that I used a heart rate monitor. Not knowing exactly what I was doing, I paced myself a little too slowly, but finished feeling strong and fresh!! That was pretty cool.

This race is tough, with a long gravel road climb up to the Farlow Gap Trail, but it is totally worth it to come out and test your fitness against 150 other people. The atmosphere at the start/finish is really laid back and it seems that everyone is chilling and having a good time.

I won't be racing this year, but I will be out on the course, marshaling and heckling. ( are marshals allowed to heckle?).


Have a great day.

No comments: