Friday, October 23, 2009

Trail Work

Trail work on Saturday. Meet at the Black Mtn Trail head in Pisgah National Forest at 9am. Be there if you appreciate the trails we ride. I promise, if you show up, you will gain more appreciation for the trails we ride. You will feel genuine ownership!!

Last night I re-cabled my Siren. I used to think that a person had to have special training and skills to do shifter and cable work. But, as one who has worked on cars a lot; replaced an engine, replaced a transmission, replaced water pumps..... a whole lot of replacing, I thought I would give bicycle maintenance a try. I did some calculations and realized that it would be way cheaper to do it myself.

The front derailleur I can do in my sleep. The rear takes a little more patience. I have also taught myself to overhaul the bottom bracket. Currently I'm working on a brake bleed. What's next? Wheels. I don't know much about wheel maintenance. I'd really like to learn how to build a wheel and overhaul the bearings. Hmmm. I'm gonna need some more tools for that!!

I have not been on the bike in 5 days. I'm starting to get the shakes and when I look at the bike I get excited. I'm not quite ready to ride yet, but driving to work gets expensive. I plan on starting to commute again next week and riding minimally for the next couple of weeks. I also plan on doing some running, my cool boss discussed the possibility of some lunch runs which would absolutely rock!!

I have also started my 2010 schedule, it is listed on the left above my sponsor links. The list is more of a wish list right now, I'll have to see what the travel money looks like in a month or two.

Well, it's Friday, I hope to see you at the trail work day.

Have a great day.

No comments: