Friday, June 04, 2010

Hot

On my way to the Thursday Night Liberty Road Ride, I stopped by the house to swap out water bottles.  I had grabbed some new Enervit bottles and the flow was too little. I felt like I was suffocating and dehydrating while trying to drink. Not to mention that the lids leaked so that my fluids dribbled down my chin.

Before I got off the parkway I stashed a bottle of ice water.  It was blazing hot and I knew that I would need it when I got back. 

Everyone agreed that it was hot out, and I was hopeful that it would not be a hammer ride. 

The pace was medium chill for the first 15 minutes the the hammer came down.  There were some really strong riders today, so I just hung back in the back while they rotated pulls.  It was the only way I was going to survive.  I hung on longer that I have been able to in the past. 

Everytime we stopped to regroup, the sun beat down on us.  The air was still and there was a thunderstorm in the distance.  My head was starting to hurt.  I was spending a lot of time at my HR max,  I don't think that is a good thing.  I knew that I was starting to overheat.  My legs were tired and I couldn't hang on.  When Sam pulled up next to me and said " Do you wanna ride with me?",  I gasped and said "Yes". 

He didn't say where he was going, but it was more comfortable than trying to hang on.  And that is what road cycling boils down to.  Comfort levels.   The one who can be the most uncomfortable for the longest time....wins.  Ok,  maybe that's not all of it, but that is part of it.  

I have a long ride scheduled for Saturday. I'm not sure where I am going for that one, and being a bit tired from last night, it is hard to think about it.  I'll decide last minuted, I'm sure. 

So, we slowed the pace to moderate and kept spinning.  The group waited up and on the last hill before Hendersonville rd, I could not resist the pull of the animal deep inside.  I attacked.  It was good and I got the jump, but halfway up the steep grunt climb, I ran out of steam and got dropped. 

We re-grouped for the ride back down to the shop.  It is a really cool part of the ride where everyone is tired and the attacks stop.  We roll as a group.  Chatting about things. 

A good day, good ride with good people.

I was glad that I had stashed the bottle,  the ice had melted but the water was cool.  I ate a Honey Stinger Gel, and sipped on the cool water.  Unzipping my jersey, I slowly spun up the last hill then soft- pedaled down the other side,  cooling off, looking forward to the next ride.

Have a great day!!

No comments: