Friday, June 18, 2010

Riding

Stress saps the mind, body and soul of it's strength.  I have taken quite a hit since everything that went down last week.  I was worried that I would not be able to hold on for the Thursday Liberty Road Ride.  I showed up anyway, because I needed to ride. I opted to drive to work instead of riding and then riding to the ride. 

I go home, changed and headed up the parkway to the shop.   Surprisingly it didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would.  My legs still felt flat.   I figured I would head out with the group and see how it went.

Fortunately, most of the regular fast guys didn't show up so the pace was fairly chill. 

I was able to hang on and thanks to a lead out from the one and only Robert Watkins, I got a huge gap on the group.  But, then he pulled off, and I couldn't hold on.

We regrouped and continued.  Pacelining and chatting.  Once we hit the short stretch of Hwy25, everybody was sitting up and chatting.  I accidentally rolled off the front, and realized that they weren't coming.  I upped my pace and continued to roll.  Knowing that if they worked together, I would not last long, I continued to push it and stayed out front until they caught me.

A few of them passed me, and then a few more. I thought that I would not be able to hang on, but I tested my legs anyway.  To my surprise, I was able to keep the pace and ride steady.  I tucked in and drafted. 

Towards the end of the loop before we get back to Hendersonville rd, there are some grunt hills that are always challenged.  Today was no different.  Someone attacked, and then there were the counter attacks.  Fun stuff.

We rolled back towards the shop tired but content.

Have a great day.

No comments: