Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Trace

It was hot and humid and the air was still when I headed out of the parking lot.  I knew that the lower BC trails were probably soggy so I headed up Ingles Field to Hickory top, then down to Sidehill,  taking a right and crossing the creek I considered taking BC Gap rd but was pleased to see that the trail was dry enough that I would not damage it. 

Climbing up, I was excited about the ride today.  My focus was to keep a steady pace and enjoy the ride. 

As I hit BC Gap rd, I turned right and climbed up to the gap, rolled under the Parkway, took a couple of pedal strokes and rolled down the other side of the ridge. 

Dropping down into Mills River on an after work ride is always exciting.  Dusk is slowly creeping up and tonight, there were large patches of fog that added to the mystique.  As I descended, I thought about the last couple of years and friends who have come and gone.  I have enjoyed reconnecting with a lot of them.  Some have found me, and I have found some, but it always comes down to one thing:

Do you respect me and accept me for who I am right now?  Are you willing to accept the fact that I have been through a lot and see things differently than I used to?  Are you willing to accept that this is my family and I am taking care of them the way that I see is best?   Are you willing to let go, and let me be free to be me?  And of course I have to ask myself the same questions, but the answer is yes.  But the one that sums it all up is the last one:
" Are you willing to let me be free to be me"?  
Definitely a loaded question, but a valuable one.  The ones who can't answer yes, don't get very far with me.  They are trying to change me, to tell me how to think, tell me what I should or should not be doing and how I should be doing it.  That ain't right!!! 

So, some folks are still friends and we stay in touch, others have moved on.  ( one even unfriended me on Facebook.....seriously, got me good there.)   But, the interesting thing is that the ones who have accepted me have empowered me to move past the ones who have not.  In the past, I would have done what I could to keep those relationships, despite the fact that I was becoming someone else to please them.  I am growing out of that mindset, and the freedom I have found is so empowering.

I climbed up to the bottom of Trace Ridge.  I have not done this route since I got my Siren about 1 yr ago.  I'm not sure why, I just have not been over this way.  So, tonight was the night and the bike didn't let me down.  I definitely let the bike down and dabbed more than 5 times, but for the most part we just climbed together in silence.  The air was stifling and I was going as slow as I could so I didn't overheat, but that is nearly impossible while climbing Trace.  Taking a right on Spencer and gently riding the contours of the mountain I enjoyed the feeling that one experiences while the sun is setting.  The soft light, the birds singing, bugs buzzing.  The sound of the forest. 

I climbed up Wash Creek Road, dropped down into BC and headed back to the truck.  Body taxed, mind clear,  satisfied with life.

Have a great day.

No comments: