Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Free Heat?

Yes. Well, almost free. It costs to pay for gas and repairs on the chainsaw, and to haul the wood etc. But with a lumber company between work and home, and a sawmill half a mile down the road from my house, it is pretty inexpensive.

When we moved into the house 3 yrs ago, it came with an oil heater sitting in the living room. Fortunately for us, there was already a chimney. All we had to do was find a wood stove. We bought a used one that we found in the want ads. It cost us a whole $100. We installed that, thanks to help from my parents and my friend Jared Mauldin. Then we sold the oil heater for $300. The people even came and removed it themselves. ( the guy also bought a stroller that I had bought to resell. I made about $20 off of the stroller, he he he).

We have not regretted selling that smelly old heater. To drive out, load the pickup truck with wood, take it home, cut it up, ( leaving sawdust all over the lawn which makes it look like snow), stack it in the wood shed, take it in the house, do it all over again, it makes me feel good and warm. Its great cross training too.

No comments: