Friday, December 07, 2007

Sports Drink Slushy Anyone?

I got to Bent Creek last night, and got on the trail around 5:45pm. The sun had set, but there was still enough light to make out the trail. I rode down the paved sidewalk across the bridge and up Wolf Branch. Halfway up Wolf Branch, barely able to see the trail but not wanting to turn on my lights, I passed a group of 3 riders who were amazed that I was riding without lights. On up to the dirt road, up Ingles Field.
I just had my suspension fork serviced by Suspension Experts, they did a fine job, but when I put my bike back together I tightened the stem too tight. This caused my steering to be too stiff. Half way up Ingles Field I stopped to fix the problem. This would make the downhill safer. I had turned my lights on at this point. Got up to Five Points and took off on Little Hickory Top. I was now riding into a headwind. With 35 degree temps, and a 15 mph wind, the windchill was around 20 degrees. Flying back down into the valley. Take the road back to the parking lot, hoping to meet up with the Biowheels dog ride. I ride up into the parking lot and there is no one around. Moments later someone rode up. Bruce, turns out that he lives right down the road from me. I joined their group of 3, making it 4. This group told me that the Biowheels group had left about 20 minutes before, and were going the same route we were. I figured that I could take off and try to catch them, but knew that when I did catch them it would be because they were back at the parking lot. So, I didn't try. It is cold and lonely out there at night. We took a slow but steady pace, giving me another 10 miles to make my total 20 miles for the night.
About 15 miles into the ride, I took a swig of my sports drink from my water bottle. Wow, slushy. The freezing temps had turned my drink into an icy drink. I'm sure that did not help the cold to the bone feeling that I was experiencing.

Coldest ride this year. I hope it snows soon!!!

No comments: