Saturday, March 12, 2011

3-12-2011


I've had the bikepacking bug for a while now, and it finally looked like I was going to get to use all the gear and knowledge that I have been collecting. I had planned on leaving Friday morning, but then the temps dropped and it was snowing,  with a low forecast at 30,  I could have still gone, but did not feel like spending the night shivering.  In addition, I didn't want to have to carry the extra gear that would keep me warm.  So, After talking to the wife, I made plans to head out first thing Saturday morning.  

It was 28 degrees when I left the house, but was supposed to warm up to 65 with a low of 40.  It was looking like it would be a perfect time in the woods.  

The kid gave me monkey to take along with me,  I strapped him to the seatbag.  The funny thing is, there was a monkey on my back as well.  I could not shake it.  I felt good on the climb up Yellow Gap Rd, then turning onto Laurel mtn...my body felt good.  But, there are things going on in my head lately that drain my thought process.  As I pedaled, I tried to enjoy the scenery,  I did a little, but even with all of the sunshine there was still that monkey.
 
After an hour and a half of grinding up the hill, I stopped in the middle of the trail.  I knew what I had to do, and stood there chewing on it.  I decided to pull the plug on the trip.  I have a goal of riding 100 miles in the woods and even have a route picked out.   But this was not the weekend that it was to happen.  

Interestingly, after I made the decision, and committed to bailing, I felt lighter.  I knew that it was the right decision and as I made my way back to the truck, I had no regrets. 

The hugs from the wife and kid when I got home would have erased all doubts about my decision, had there been any left. 

Instead of a long ride battling my own demons, I got to load the kid up and ride 4 miles in Bent Creek with him.   That was  a much better way to spend the day...this time.

2 comments:

Don Meredith said...

Good call. There's time for that trip later... I try to listen to my gut even when it feels like I'm copping out. I'd love to know the route if it's not top secret.

My name is Stephen said...

http://adventuresinpisgah.blogspot.com/2009/11/pisgah-99.html