Thursday, October 25, 2012

Anti Bully

 I've been struggling quite a bit lately,  wrestling with the demons from my past,  working on stuff,  chipping away at the crap that brings me down.  I'm always working on it, attempting to become a better person all around.  Sometimes it hits me hard though, and from out of nowhere.  I'm sure you know the feeling.  Contrary to what I was taught as a kid, no one is immune to life's struggles.

And then the Lance Armstrong debacle came to a head and I must admit, while not surprised, I am very disappointed.  I hate lying and cheating.  I could care less who wins a race,  but if you do it by lying and cheating, then......well, not cool at all.  And bullying?  It turns out that ol' Lance is quite the bully too.  Which brings me to my point.  My life parallels this story in that a bully played a major role in my life for a long time.  Until I confronted the issue, then it became a dodging defensive game.

It is very difficult to confront and pin down a bully,  somehow they seem to always get the upper hand.  They dodge, and cast blame,   and use intimidation.  But I went ahead and tried, and it didn't work out as planned.  I had hoped to make friends with the bully, but the bully didn't like me pointing out the bullying habits, so needless to say it didn't end well.  The one upside is that the bully left me alone, maybe that's an upside..
And delving deeper, the whole situation can be applied as an example to any abuse case.  The perpetrator bullies to a point that the victim is afraid to seek help, and when the victim reaches out, the bully  belittles and dodges.  Unless there is concrete evidence, or unless multiple parties involved, in the confronting, it is very difficult to confront the issues.

So what to do?  Confront.  Do it, get yourself out of that situation, get help,  don't seek revenge or vengeance,  that is not your job.  Take care of yourself, so that you can take care of others.

I hope this inspires.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I feel ya. I'm having quite the week myself. Hang in there.