Wednesday, November 04, 2009

2010

My 2010 training starts today. It's 33 degrees outside and I think I might regret it, but I'm going to get back on the bike today.

Most training plans tell a person to set some goals for the season before the season begins. I suppose one common goal is to win a race. That would be cool and all, but my focus this year, again, is going to be to finish my race!!

In the past, my attempts to go fast and win have resulted in the opposite result. So, I'm going to continue my plan of approaching a race calmly, riding well, and finish.

My goals are to challenge myself, to do the best that I can with the time that I have to train.

And my ultimate goal is to spread the word about the "Power of Bicycles".

Thanks to people who support me in this mission ( listed in the left hand column), I'll be able to do that again in 2010.

One thing that I really learned about last year is the importance of intensity in training. I didn't realize until late in the season that I was not approaching this aspect correctly, or at all really. Once I added that in, I saw myself getting faster and stronger.

Something else I did was shorten my training cycle to 3 weeks instead of 4 weeks. I started taking a rest week every two weeks instead of every three. This seemed to serve me well and let me recover better from my longer more intense rides.

Another thing that is difficult from now through March is getting long rides in. With Rhonda working every other weekend, it is close to dark by the time she gets home. I can still ride with lights, but the the ol' fear factor comes in to play. Boo! So, I'm going to need to get creative with my time. I hope to have my super secret state of the art training center complete within a month. Then I'll be able to spend some hrs on the rollers..... ( I've never ridden the rollers more than 45 minutes, anyone have a small tv/dvd player they want to donate?).

Well, here is a toast for the 2010 season!!

Have a great day.

No comments: