Friday, November 13, 2009

Light

For the past 3 years I have been using a handle bar mounted Nite Rider MiNewt dual for my night rides. It has worked for me. When I got them, the price was good and I was satisfied knowing that I could not afford more expensive, brighter lights.

I rode those through dark, rain, snow. On long night rides. Their beams casting light, enough to see what was about10-20 feet in front of me. It is a little like riding through a tunnel. A very long tunnel.

This summer a good friend hooked me up with the Nite Rider Rage. I mounted it on my helmet for my ride home last night. As it started to get dark I switched on the MiNewt on my handle bars. I rode like that so that oncoming traffic could see me. When it got even darker I turned on the Rage that was mounted on my helmet.

That moment (and all the ones that led to it) will change my nite rides from here on out. I could see the light. Not only could I see what was 20 feet ahead of me, I could see 50 feet ahead. And I could see to the sides, down up and back. Wild. It was such a liberating moment for me. And when I passed through the little dark, spooky, wooded section, I was not nearly as spooked as I have been for the past 3 years of night rides. I'm looking forward to an extended ride in the woods to see if the fear creeps back in, or if I have found the answer to my unexplained, frustrating and inhibiting fear of the boogie man!!!


There is a trail workday tomorrow in Pisgah. Meet at the Daniel Ridge parking area at 9am. Todd Branham is heading this one up.

Have a great day!!

No comments: