Sunday, April 12, 2009

6 hr Grind on the Greenway


We got out of the rainy mountains around 7:45 am. I found out later that it rained most of the day in Asheville. Fort Mill was a different story. Temps were around 70 degrees but with a stiff breeze blowing all day, it was fairly cool. Rhonda wore her fleece jacket almost the whole time.

We got to the start finish, got ready, checked in. Same 'ol, same 'ol...

OJ and wife Lindsey let us hang out under there tent, and we are set up next to Andy Applegate.

The start of the race was at the bottom of the hill. The promoter said go and people took off. I started, slow but sure. My plan today was to go slow and steady. No trying to keep up with the leaders or drop that one person hanging on my wheel. Slow and steady. I was also going to focus on my nutrition and follow the instructions to a T.
Lap one went smoothly, a little bit of traffic after hitting the first bit of single track, but no much. I was going slow anyway, so I decided not to try to pass anyone.
I finished my 1st 9 mile lap in about 1 hr 3 minutes. I stopped only long enough to swap out my bottles. I had again planned on one bottle per hour, but this time I took the extra precaution and carried an extra bottle. Smart move, because I ended up needing it.
I did fine on lap two. It would take 2 more laps for me to find out if today was the day to push through the wall. After finishing lap two, I decided to put on my Camelbak...just in case. I was feeling good but feeling a little but gummed up. Not bloated or crampy, just feeling like I might want some plain water. But, towards the end of lap three I was feeling bloated. Hmmm, too many calories? I'll have to ask my nutritionist.



4 laps down and feeling fine. Well fine for having just ridden 34 miles on tight, twisty, rooty, wet, sometimes sloppy singletrack. Similar to last week, there was not a lot of climbing, but the pedaling was almost constant. Almost no rest. But I was definitely having fun. And I wasn't sitting in the tent. At this point, if I pushed it and didn't bonk, I could make it back in time to start another lap. But, I knew that if I pushed it, I wouldn't have the stamina for an additional lap.

So, I set out for lap 5, just keeping it steady. Feeling good, but knowing the finish was coming, I started dragging. I kept wondering if someone in my category might be right behind me. I didn't want to slow down and get passed in the last couple of miles. So, I kept going.



Up the last climb, the climb we started on, to the finish. They took the timing chip and not knowing where I placed, I went to sit down under the tent. I was not overly concerned where I had placed. Knowing that I had finished feeling good was enough for me. I was satisfied. After checking the results, I found that I was 12th in my cat, out of 26. Nice middle of the pack finish. 5hrs 45 mins, and 45 miles. Not bad at all.





I am not confident that I have my nutrition "nailed", but I am that much closer. I'll continue to do what I am doing, and then add some speed to the equation.
If you need nutritional help, contact Namrita O'dea. If you need electrolytes I recommend NUUN. If you need, want or even think you might want a new hand built bike, check out Siren Bicycles. If you have some cash flow that you want to give away to help make the world a better place, give to World Bicycle Relief. If you need BBQ then go to Okie Dokie Smokehouse in Swannanoa, NC!!!!
Have a great day.

















No comments: