Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cycle

And so ends my first ever cycle of training. I started back in November and targeted the Cohutta. This week is a rest week and then I go into another cycle.

I am definitely sold on a training program. It was great to be able to ride hard/easy and rest when my body needed it. It was also great to take time off the bike and focus on my wife and son and not have to worry about losing fitness. Rest is mandatory.

Last year around this time I started to feel tired and sluggish and the feeling did not leave until the following winter, when I cut down on riding. And I could not figure out why that was happening. This year, I also got tired and sluggish. The combo of riding all winter, family responsibilities, adding on to the house, all added up and made me very tired. My solution? Cut back on riding for a couple of days. And it worked. My legs felt great at Cohutta, and if it had been 50 degrees, I calculate that I would have finished30-45 minutes faster. Sweet.

We have run out of money for the addition. So, things have come to a standstill. It is up to me to finish the siding, trim, painting interior and exterior, hang a door, lay the wood floor, and finish the grading. Hmmmm. That is going to take a while. But I have learned from my training program and I am going to apply that principle to life. I 'm going to do a little here and there, knowing that I am making progress. And when I get tired, I'll rest.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Dude, that is so true -- I can't tell you how important it is to apply your training principles to life. Who says it's "just riding a bike?"!