Monday, May 04, 2009

Blue Ridge Parkway

Saturday, I decided to take my first ride since the Big Frog 65 one week earlier. I took the week off in between to work on the house and to hang with my family.

The ride was great, about 3 hrs. I started in rain showers and ended in golden sunshine, enhancing the already bright green of spring. It was great, hard to put into words.

I was disappointed when I got to the Craggy Gardens picnic area and found that the road is still closed:

Milepost 367.6 to 355.3 – Asheville Area
A rock slide and roadway failure has closed the Parkway to all activities including foot traffic and bicycling between the entrance to Craggy Gardens Picnic Area and the entrance to Mt. Mitchell State Park. The picnic area is accessible driving north from the Asheville area and the state park is accessible via the NC Highway 80 entrance to the Parkway.
For northbound travelers, exit the Parkway at US 70 East in Asheville, follow to the intersection with I-40 East, and at Exit 86, follow NC 226 back to the Parkway near Spruce Pine.
For southbound travelers, exit the Parkway at NC 226 (Milepost 330.9), follow to I-40 West, and at Exit 55, follow US 70 West back to the Parkway.
The detour is approximately 45 miles in length. This road closure will remain in effect until late spring 2009.

Sunday I took another ride with Jubal on the Trail-a-Bike. We rode for almost an hour, finishing in the rain. We both loved it!!!

This weeks marks the start of a new training cycle. I'm looking forward to seeing how my body responds!!

Have a great day.

No comments: