Friday, May 29, 2009

Pain

I woke up in the middle of the night two nights about with sever upper back and neck pain. The shooting kind of pain that let's you know it is there.

Yesterday I drove to work hoping that I would be feeling better and be able to go for a ride after work. I felt somewhat better and went for that ride.

I headed down to Curtis Creek rd to do a re-con for ORAMM and some intervals. That was fun.

I parked, get ready and hit the road. It is about 1 mile until the road starts to tilt upward.

As soon as I got on the bike and pedaled 100 feet, I knew why my back was messed up. I had made an adjustment to my seat and now I felt every little muscle in my upper back and neck screaming out in pain. I stopped and put the seat back and was able to ride for an hour and a half. It is amazing how a little 2mm adjustment can really help or really mess you up.

I took off up the road in the evening sunshine. The humidity was there in full force, and I was dripping. Legs burning, heavy breathing and loving the ride. It looked like, for the hour ride up, that I was going to stay dry for this ride.

A turkey crossed the road, saw me and ran for the woods.

The false summit on Curtis Creek is a killer. It is about 1.5 miles from the top, and levels out nicely. The scenery even looks the same as the top, it'll mess you up. Right after the false summit, the road kicks up again. You can almost here the mountain laughing at you.....

After getting to the parkway, I stopped to stretch. It was foggy up here but not raining. Then I heard the thunder rumbling through the valley. It was going to be behind me on the way down so I decided to try to beat it back to the parking lot.

Cruising down the hardpacked gravel road, I heard it, then felt it. The roar of the giant drops as they crashed down through the already soaked forest. The I was drenched, and starting to get cold. I stopped to put my wind vest on, and pushed it back to the truck.

When I got back, the rain stopped and I smiled.

Have a great day.

No comments: