Friday, July 17, 2009

Over Done

I guess I pushed my body just a little too far. I now get to nurse a sinus/head cold. No long rides for me this weekend. I can't say I wasn't warned. But, if I had not spent the extra time on the bike, I would not be closer to a solution. Oh well. That's how it goes.

On the way home from work last night, we saw about 12 City of Asheville Police cars with lights on. Some driving around, some parked, officers walking around looking into a wooded area next to the highway. That was about a mile from our house.

Around 8pm I heard sirens coming into our neighborhood, lots of them, and they silenced down the road before they got close. There were going to a little section that is about 200 yards from my back door. This was getting interesting. I saw a few Sheriff's deputies drive past our house a couple of time, but other than that things got quiet again.

We went to bed at 9pm, looking forward to a good night's sleep. Suddenly I heard a helicopter flying fast at low altitude. Thinking it was the EMS helicopter, which often flies over, I rolled over. But, the helicopter circled another wooded area a couple of roads over, circled about 10 times.

Excited, I walked out in our back yard to get a better look. The chopper flew over to our road, 5 houses up, not more than 200yds off the ground. I stood out back and watched. I could hardly see it, silhouetted against the night sky. Other than the little blinky lights, the chopper was dark. I could not make out any markings. Wondering if it was police or army, I kept watching at it circled my house. Each pass was a little tighter until they were hovering almost directly above me. Feeling very small and exposed, I waited for them to turn their spotlight on me, they never did. Wanting to know what was going on , I went inside and called the Sheriff's Dept. The lady said" We have a couple of officers out there, that will be the Highway Patrol helicopter, they are looking for something".

I deduced that they were looking for someone.

This morning I read in the Asheville Citizen Times that a driver had led officers on a high speed chase, had ditched his car in my neighborhood, and was " at large".......

Have a great day.

No comments: