Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Deluge

The air was cooler than it has been,  around 75 degrees, but just as muggy.  As I spun down the driveway and onto the main road,  there was blue sky, huge white clouds and even bigger gray clouds.  The sun felt good on my skin and the wind on my face was refreshing.  I had made it through Monday and was riding my bike.  I was relishing the moment.

I looked forward to getting home and spending time with my family, but for now,  I was on my bike.  Just me, the open road, and my ride.

I was in a really good mood.  After semi-celebrating out 12th anniversary over the weekend,  and getting to see my younger brother and his wife,   I was feeling a peace that I have not felt before.  A peace that comes from the satisfaction of doing things right, not because it always feels good, or is comfortable, but because it is the right thing to do.

My brother and his wife are on a road trip.  Moving from Chicago to LA.  On the way, they are stopping in select towns to photograph and document a specific sub-culture.  He is following a dream and I am proud of him for taking the risk,  for going on this journey.  I told them I was proud of them too.  It takes guts to pack up everything you own and move across the country.  You just don't do that unless you believe in your dream,  and you don't stay put just because someone else does not believe in your dream.  He is a great guy, and he is my brother.

As I road through a local park, I heard a stream that normally is not running,  actually there has  never been a stream there before.  I tried to figure out where the rush of water was coming from.  As I rounded the bend,  I saw a wall of water falling out of the sky.  I had just a few seconds to pull my wind vest on, so I would not get chilled.   Then I was soaked.  The rain drops were huge!  I imagine that only a couple thousand feet higher they were balls of ice, and nearing the ground they had melted.  If it had been hail it would have hurt.

1 mile later, the sun was out and I rode out of the rain.  It felt like a symbolic washing,  a reminder that my Creator is taking care of me, watching over me.  Not like a guard watches a prisoner, but like a father watchers a child,  to take care of him and gently guide him.  It was a comforting moment.

Have a great day.

No comments: