Friday, July 02, 2010

Thursday Ride

My summer hours have been changed back to  9-5.  I was not sure if I would make the commute to Liberty Bikes in time for the ride, but I went for it.  I maintained a steady pace and with the help of a tailwind coming down Hwy 70,  got to the shop with 10 minutes left to spare. 

We had about 15 guys show up tonight.   About 12 of them were really strong and fast.  I knew that this ride was going to hurt.

We set out on the parkway and I pulled for the first couple of miles.  I peeled off, and not being used to such a long paceline, it felt like it took a long time for the back of the line to come up.  Over the hills and through the woods. 

As turned off of Long Shoals Rd, the pace slowly picked up,  I hung on.  Knowing our route a little better helps me hang on. It is not fun being 10 bike lengths back, going over the top of a hill and missing the train as it pulls away on a flat.  I have noticed that I can continue riding, a little longer into the red  zone, than I did 4 weeks ago.  I felt a little weird today though,  maybe I was pushing harder, maybe I was holding my breath,   but when I started to feel a little bit dizzy, I decided to back off;  and the train left me. 

I didn't totally sit up though, I kept a pace that was somewhat comfortable, and before long Sam and Robert came up behind me.  I jumped on the mini train and we caught up to the group waiting at next intersection. 

The next few miles of flat to rolling hills through farmland is scenic, but I didn't have time to look around.  The train was flying and I was focused on staying smooth.  " Relax, breathe, pedal, relax, breathe, pedal"  Someone peeled off the front, the group surged, " Relax, breathe, pedal, relax, breathe, pedal".  There was a lot of surging in the group tonight.  It was not the smooth paceline that we have experienced in the past. 

When we got to the last couple of hills before getting to Hendersonville road,  I was done.  I usually go on the attack here, just to see what I have left.  It's Kevin's fault,  he usually says something that encourages me to go.   But today, I had no attack left.  I kept a steady pace and watched the group ride away.  I did my best to keep them in sight but could not.  I really hoped that they would wait for me, because Hendersonville rd would be a lonely ride by myself.  When I got to the intersection, there was lots of traffic, but I wove in and out,  made the turn and was relieved to see the group waiting.

The cooldown was nice. The sky was cloudy and I could feel fresh bursts of cool air.  It felt like air conditioning.  It was refreshing. 

Including my commute to and from work, I logged 66.66 miles and 3 hrs 45 mins!

A good ride with good people.

Have a great day!

No comments: