Monday, January 14, 2008

Round Two

I met up with Jeremy again on Sunday afternoon to go round two with the Goat Ride that we had attempted on New Year's Day. This time it was just us. The only thing that would hold us back would be my lack of downhill skills. ( Thanks Jeremy for waiting for me).

We left the parking area around 1:30pm. With the sun setting at 5:30 ish, we had about 5 hrs of light left. We ended up riding into the night.

Up Yellow Gap Rd, up Laurel Mtn. The forecast was a 40% chance of rain. We had both looked at the weather radar and it looked like the rain had passed. Half way up Laurel, it didn't rain, but started snowing. By the time we got to Pilot Rock trail, it was sunny again, with clouds roiling around the mountains all around. The temperature felt like it was around 30. It was probably a little cooler.

I have done Pilot Rock trail 2 times this year, in fact 2 times my whole life. This is the most intimidating trail that I have ever ridden. I really have to focus and stay relaxed. Hanging off of the back of the seat most of the time. Arms burning, brain screaming, breathe, relax, hit the brakes. I plan on doing this ride more. I know that I lack technical skills, and I know that it is because I don't ride technical trails much.

Down to the forest service rd, we turn right, then take a left on another rd. This is new territory for me. Left up Frying Pan mtn Rd? Not sure, but I am sure that we went up, and Jeremy was pushing a fast pace. After Saturday's ride, I wanted to relax, but at the same time was glad that Jeremy was pushing, that way we wouldn't be out too late. And it started raining, I'm sure that back up on Laurel it was snowing, but we were at a lower elevation now, so it was raining.

By the time we got to Horse Cove, it had stopped raining, then it started to clear. With fog gathering in the valley below us, we could see patches of blue sky overhead. The trail was slippery from the rain covered leaves hiding roots and rocks. It was a delicate balance of riding 2 inches from the edge and a long tumble in order to avoid being thrown over the edge by the wet roots.

We took Squirrel Gap to Laurel Creek. It was now starting to get dark. We had prepared well and brought lights, but didn't want to take the time to put them on yet. Towards the end of Laurel Creek, Jeremy said" I forgot to tell you something and you are going to hate me for it". We had come to a knee deep creek crossing. Very cold. I only hated for a second.

By this time we are both tired and ready to be done. We are cold and hungry. We set a medium pace up the last dirt road, as the sun sets and darkness finally closes around us. We wonder how many other people, out of all the people who live in the area, get to see the sunset while out on a bike ride. About 4 miles up to Yellow Gap. We use the light of the moon to guide us. On a downhill I hit something in the road, my rear wheel kicks out like a bucking bronco. I manage to stay upright, and we keep spinning the cranks. We stop for a minute about 1 mile from the top. I take the opportunity to mount my light, we'll need it for the descent on Yellow Gap Rd. I then realize that I brought the mount for a larger diameter handle bar, so the light is loose.

On up to Yellow Gap, we give ourselves a small cheer. And hit the downhill dirt rd. I hit the first washboard at full speed, my light loosens and points straight up, into my face, I see nothing but a bright light, ( is it the light at the end of the tunnel? ) I decide not to give up this life just yet. I hit the brakes, Jeremy who is behind me, almost runs over me, he laughs. A minor adjustment to make sure this doesn't happen again. Down, down, down, following the beam of light, like a moth to a flame.

We arrive to the vehicle about 6:45pm. Great ride, I'm tired, let's do it again!!!

Have a great day.

No comments: