Sunday, January 27, 2008

Who Needs a Gym...

...when you have a wood stove? I spent most of the day Saturday cutting firewood. A guy let me on his land and asked me to cut down some dead trees. Yeehaw!!! I have never cut down a tree before, but I have seen it done before, so I figured I was good to go. And I read about it on the internet. I cut 4 of them down, 12 inch diameter and about 30 feet tall. That's a lot of wood. I'm getting to the halfway point of having enough for next year. I like to go ahead and start gathering it now, so that the wood will be really dry when it comes time to burn.



Sunday, I took my normal Sunday Bent Creek loop. I had originally planned to ride up to Craggy Gardens on the road bike since the high was supposed to be 50 degrees. Factor in 15 mph wind and it feels like 35 degrees. I rode about 1 mile down the road, turned around, came home and got my mtn bike. Off to Bent Creek, via the Parkway-Hardtimes Rd.- paved road to Rice Pinnacle-towards North Boundary rd-take a left to stay on the dirt road that goes below Ingles Field- Right on Bent Creek Gap Rd-left on South Ridge Rd- Hardtimes to the Arboretum- back home on the Parkway=2.52hrs, 38 miles.




As I passed the sawmill on the way home, I noticed the huge log that had been sitting there for a month had been chainsawed into 2 foot sections. The log was about 3 feet in diameter. I couldn't let that go, so I took 30 more minutes of cross training, split the huge chunks in to big chunks, threw them in the truck and stacked them in the yard. That's a lot of work.


And lastly, these Daffodils are as excited about spring as I am:


No comments: