Saturday, January 31, 2009

Happy Groundhog Day

This is how my weekend started. A cold, windy ride home with some scattered snow showers. I decided to check out the trails at Warren Wilson and was pleasantly surprised. I'll be incorporating that into my work commutes more often. Variety is good.







Saturday I was feeling sluggish, so I hung around the house with Rhonda and Jubal. We moved a fence back to make room for the construction project and then took a little hike on the Mtns to Sea Trail. Grilled quesadillas for dinner, delicious.



Sunday I met up with Stephanie and we headed out Yellow gap road starting at Rice Pinnacle. It was chilly but with the temps forcast to rise, I dressed for later. It turned out to be a great day weather wise.



Since Stephanie does not have a mtn bike (her boyfriend is holding it hostage in CA to make sure she comes back), she was on her cross bike. At Yellow Gap she turned around and I headed on to Laurel Ridge Trail. I pedaled up, alone soaking in the sunshine, turning the pedals, pushing everything out of my mind. Just riding.

At the top of the trail, I briefly considered heading on up to Pisgah Inn and riding down the Parkway. I stuck to the plan and headed down Pilot Rock. I am in need of improving my technical skills and this is a good place to do just that. The Snake Creek Gap route should feel easier after this ride.


Back down to Yellow Gap Rd, up to Yellow Gap, through Mills River, up to Bent Creek Gap, back to Rice Pinnacle. After spending the past 4 hours in the woods mostly alone, it was a bit of a shock to come down to Bent Creek and find an abundance of people. I think that it is great that so many people are getting outside though.

5.5 hrs on the trail, with only about 5 minutes worth of stops. Great ride!!!




Have a great day.









No comments: