Friday, January 25, 2008

Abdul

I pulled up to the free wood section at the local sawmill and saw that there were about 20 maple logs, 15-20 feet long. I also saw some dude there with a huge pickup truck and a huge trailer that I could fit my little pickup truck in. I rolled down my window and asked him if he was going to take all that wood. It was obvious that he was planning on it, but I asked anyway. He paused for a moment and said, " No, come get some". I didn't have my chainsaw with me so I told him I had to run home and get it. I said" I'll be right back".

Minutes later I was back and ready to wrestle some wood. I picked a small 15 foot log and started cutting. I cut it into pieces and threw it into the back of my truck. Meanwhile Abdul, that is the guy's name, is telling me that he retires in one year. And that he works manual labor and this work is nothing for him. Then he says, " Hey listen, I'll cut a bunch of wood for you". I guess he felt sorry for me as my chainsaw was half as big as his. ( there seems to be a theme here). I said the obligatory, " Really? Are you sure?" He said", Yeah man, you coming back here is a blessing to me. It helps me know that I am not being greedy. See, I can help you get a load of wood, and still have plenty for me". Wow, this is cool. So, we load up my little truck with a little load of wood.
Seeing that there is still more left, he starts cutting for himself again. I decide to start grabbing logs and throw them on his trailer. Before we know it, there is nothing left. We knocked out that pile of wood in no time.
A little team work goes a long way. Two people trying to help their neighbor.

Who are you going to help today?

Have a great day.

No comments: