Thursday, January 03, 2008

I Can't Get No Resolution

You may have noticed that I did not post my new year's resolutions. Then again, maybe you didn't notice. I didn't post any, because I don't have any. (the crowd gasps). No resolutions? How could you? I could because I don't believe in them. I don't believe they work. Not in and of themselves anyway. One year is a large chunk of time, and a large goal. Too large for a lot of people to swallow, myself included. That is why resolution are often broken. A couple of weeks pass, or months, and there is still such a long time to go to reach the goal. Then distraction sets in, and one gets off track. And, before you know it, boom, no more resolve.

Let me propose the daily resolution. Pare down your resolution, your goal, to daily or even weekly, but for the first month, no longer than that. For instance: If your goal is to exercise daily for a year. Simply say, I am going to exercise today. Then do it again tomorrow, and the next day. Then suddenly, after 5 days, you have achieved 5 goals. That is so good for the self-esteem. After all, goals are meant to be achievable, and realistic.

Try it, let me know how it works.

Have a great day.

No comments: