Thursday, January 14, 2010

Frostnip

Wednesday morning, I checked the weather, currently 15 degrees, high of 45. For some reason my brain focused on the high of 45.

I layered up and rolled my bike out the door. 15 minutes into the ride, my heart rate monitor started freezing and giving me bad readings. 20 minutes into the ride, my fingers got cold and would not warm up. I kept going thinking that I would warm up.

25 minutes into the ride, I tried to get some fluids in me. I was feeling weak and knew that I would start to bonk soon. I squeezed the bottle and got a couple of sips. My drink was a slushee and the nozzle was frozen.

It was not a good situation for me. I kept spinning, knowing the route that I was taking and how long it would take me to get there. I craved the warmth of the sun. I could see the sun shining on the mountain tops around me, but it did not quite reach down into the valley where I was suffering.

30 minutes into the ride, my fingertips started to hurt and go numb. I kept going, telling myself to remain calm. My core was warm, my toes were chilly, just my fingers were in trouble.

10 minutes from camp, I finally, briefly, rode into some sunshine. At this point it didn't help much, I needed to get out of the cold, and get the blood flowing into my fingertips.

Up the last hill and to the office door. No one's car was in the lot. I had to dig around for my keys, unlock 3 doors and get inside. Fortunately, with the cold, the bathroom heater is left on at night so the pipes don't freeze. I rolled my bike in my office and made it to the bathroom, where I sank to the floor. I looked down and my chest and noticed that it was covered in thick frost, my goatee encrusted in ice.

I peeled off cold layers, wishing I could just lay down and sleep. I started rubbing my hands together, thankful that I had a heat source. It felt good as the blood started to flow again, then it started to hurt....

An hour later, after an english muffin with p-nut butter, and a couple of cups of hot tea with lots of raw sugar, I stop shivering and started to feel normal again.

Last night at dinner my right ring and pinky finger started to throb. I think that while they were numb, they were being jammed against the inside of the glove, the cuticle area is very tender.

This morning as I type this, the two fingers still hurt, and my fingertips are still a little tingly. I guess I really figured out my limit. I'd like to try 20 degrees, but I know that I will be fine in 25 degree. 20 degrees is not that different from 15, so I'm going to stick to 25.

Be careful out there.

Have a great day.

No comments: