Friday, November 30, 2007

Bent Creek

It was almost dark when I got to Bent Creek last night. I pulled into the parking lot, only a couple of people were there getting ready to ride, a couple more were packing up to head home. I parked, got my gear together and hit the trail. It was dark enough to hide some of the contours and roots in the trail, but not so dark that I could not see the trail. I rode without my lights for the first 20 minutes.

Up Wolf Branch, then over to Ingles Field, making my way up to Five Points. As I'm feeling somewhat sluggish, I keep a steady pace. I don't see anyone. It is dark but not too cold as I am riding uphill and staying warm. I arrive at Five Points and decide to work on some downhill skills. Taking Little Hickory Top, I climb for another mile then coast down most of the way. After getting to the bottom of the trail, I get on the dirt road.

Now it is cold. And with the cold comes the loneliness. Its funny, I can ride all day by myself, but at night, it is lonely out there. I decide to head back to the parking lot, to go home and get some dinner. As I pull into the parking lot, I see about 15 people milling around. The Bio-Wheels group is getting ready to head out. Oooooh, I say to myself. I fill up my water bottles and add a layer, just in time to join them for to make my ride longer.

Bio-Wheels has some very strong riders. They typically place well in local and national races. The thing about the Thursday night Bio-Wheels Ride is that, you would not know the skill that you are riding with. This is the " Dog Ride". They bring their dogs. There is one dog to two people. And we stop at all the creeks so the dogs can drink. The ride also stops at all intersections to regroup. Not only do we regroup, but we sit around and chat, about whatever, until someone starts riding again. About 15 people, 8 dogs, and 10 miles later, we get back to the parking lot.

I get 20 miles for the night. Good ride, good spaghetti for dinner.

And this morning? Good coffee.

No comments: