Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Birthday

Today marks my 35th year, for me, of being on this earth. I rode my bike more miles today, that the sum of years I have been on this earth. Hmmm.

We woke up this morning, and I got the Starbucks Christmas blend going. Rhonda got up and made blueberry pancakes and bacon. Yummy. We picked the blueberries back in August up at a spot off of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Yummy. After breakfast, I took Jubal to the park to ride his bike. He rode 1.25 miles, and would have kept going. It was time to go home to get ready for church. After church we came home. I ate a PB&J sandwich, drank some sort of energy shake. And headed off to Bent Creek.

Bent Creek is an experimental forest about 10 miles from our house. I like to ride my bike to Bent Creek, ride around on the trails and then ride back home. I save gas, I get more time and miles on the bike, and save the trouble of having to load up the gear and find a parking spot once I arrive.

I met up with Jeremy Arnold of Mtn Goat Epics http://mtngoatepics.com/ , . He is a super nice guy with some fine mtn bike skills. We met back in May at the Burn 24, and finally got together to ride. As we were riding up one long climb, someone caught up to us. It turned out to be Otto. A guy I met in birthing class 3.5 years ago. We consistently run into each other on rides. We decided that if we ever tried to plan a ride together, it would not happen.

So, the 3 of us tooled around Bent Creek for 1.5 hours. I decided I needed to head back home. So, we parted ways. I headed back through the woods. I was riding up Hardtimes Road, a dirt road that would connect me to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Some one's dog ran up to me, looked at me, then started chasing me. The he started lunging at my foot as it was spinning. Then it tried to bite my foot. At this point I started yelling at it, but it would not stop. It only got more aggressive. I decided I should get off the bike and use the bike as a shield. Finally a lady ran up and informed me that the dog was just playing. Huh, could have fooled me.

I got home. My cyclo computer showed 12 mph average, 3 hrs 35 minutes, and 40 miles. Sweet.

I got a shower, we loaded up and went to Wild Wing Cafe. This place is great because you can choose any of their wing marinades to go on a hamburger. I got the Redskin, covered in spicy mayo, fried jalapenos, and nacho cheese. WOW!! That made me sweat.

Great way to celebrate #35!!!

No comments: