Friday, February 20, 2009

Up and Over

I decided to stay on Rockmont property for my ride last night. It's gonna be tough to get my hours in this week with Rhonda working, so I decided to use the time riding rather than driving. I was also set to go race pace, so why not ride race pace on some difficult terrain. That would keep it real!!

It got cold. It was colder than when I rode in in the morning, and so I was just a bit under dressed. I got on the bike and into the woods. Going all the way to the logging road on the edge of the property. What follows is about 30 minutes of up, some of it pretty steep.

Part of my goal is to find a trail that goes up and over the ridge, to the other side, giving me more options for my commute.

At one point I saw the remains of an old logging road going in the direction that I wanted to go. I go on it, hiked 30 yards and found what looked like a trail. Unsure if it was a hunting trail, game trail or hiking trail, I tried to follow it, but soon lost it.

Back on the logging road, I continued up. Almost as far up as I could ride, I noticed another trail that went off the side of the mountain. It looked like it went down into the next valley. Cautiously, I dropped in. I reminded myself that I would have to hike back up if the trailed petered out.

After about 2 minutes, I realised I was at the spot that I had been shortly before, and not been able to find the trail. Now that I was heading down, the trail was more clear. So, I continued down. Suddenly, the trail was cleared of leaves. Cool. Then I passed some sort of large sized gazebo shelter. I knew that the 4-H camp property was over here, maybe it belonged to them. On down on to a more cultivated dirt road. After a couple more minutes of down, I came out on the main road of the 4-H camp.

Cool, I now have an back way, although quite steep, to get to and from camp.

I road most of the way back up the mountain to the Rockmont property. On the way back up, I made a mental note of another dirt road, leading of in another direction. Hmm, another road for another day.

It was getting really cold by the time I got back up to the ridge. I took a little detour and headed back to the truck, then home.

Today. Brrr. It is 19 degrees right now....

Have a great day.

No comments: