Friday, June 26, 2009

Another Good One!!

I was standing in the parking lot at Kitsuma waiting for OJ and telling Jim about how my best time at ORAMM, was my first year. I didn't know what I was doing and riding a cluncky Specialized Hardrock stock single speed.

As I was pushing the pace later, after parting ways with those guys, I started to feel overheated. So, I dropped the pace, and spun, making sure that I kept drinking. 5 minutes later I felt back to normal.

Again, I thought back to that first ORAMM. I realised that the pace that I was now maintaining, not too slow, but not fast enough to overheat, was my race pace. If I'm gonna finish, and not be finished, this is my pace.

Jarrets Creek Rd is pretty grown up with waist high weeds. It was fun and a little scary flying down the gravel hills, not being able to see everything that was on the trail. A month ago I had to use caution in the corners, due to mud puddles. Now, the puddles are dried up, and the loose sand is just as slippery, I almost lost it a couple of times.

There is a tree across the road. A small one, someone with a hand saw could clear it up easily. It is split from the main tree at a fork. The fork is charred.

As I was getting towards the end of the road, I startled something large in the woods, about 20 feet of the road. In return, it's crashing through the woods startled me!

With one hour left to get back to the parking lot, I realised that I did not have enough fluids. Oops. So I held my pace, and cut back on drinking. I manged to make it back but knew that it would have benefited me to have more.

All in all, another successful ride, learning about myself, pacing and nutrition.

Have a great day!!

No comments: