Monday, June 08, 2009

Rides

This is the map and elevation profile for last Thursday night's ride. For some reason, the profile shows less mileage, it is about 5 miles short of what I actually did, and therefore less climbing, but I got in closer to 5500 feet of climbing in 33 miles.





Then I did a map and profile of my ride on Sunday: 55 miles from Pineola, NC to Craggy Garden Visitor Center, on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The profile showed 9700' of climbing!!! Sweet.

Friday night we took off for an overnight camping trip in Pineola. The plan was to get some breakfast hang with the family then ride my bike back to Asheville for a total of 75miles. We got breakfast, Jubal rode his bike, then we hit the road.

The short story is there was some miscommunication between me and the SAG, and two hours into the ride, I ran out of liquid and nutrition. So, what to do? I kept riding at a moderate pace, thinking they would find me. 30 minutes went by and I'm still riding, wondering where they were. After one hours of riding and still not seeing them I stopped at an overlook. I waited until a tourist stopped and borrowed their cell phone to call the SAG. We got reconnected and I got refills on liquid and nutrition. It turned out that I had ridden for two hours with food, 1 hour without food and water, then another hour with refills. Good lesson. One thing I am learning that might be obvious to a lot of people is that when I slow down, I don't overheat.....hmmm.

When we got to the Craggy Gardens VC, I took a look at my family, assessed their condition, and decided to call it a day and spend some more time with them.

Good day, good weekend!!1

Have a great day.

No comments: