Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Specific Training

I have been wondering recently how "on track" I am with my training. Am I doing things right? Doing the right workouts? and many more questions.

I am using Joe Friel's Mountain Biker's Training Bible for a guide. I had the realisation last week that the book targets XC racing and not endurance. The book was written before all of the endurance events got big. I sent Joe an e-mail thanking him for his work and told him that I could see improvement in my fitness. I then asked if there was anything I should be doing different from his training manual, since I am training for endurance events, rather than XC. I was please when he responded quickly. Basically he said" I don't know because I don't coach any mtn bikers". Hmmmm.

So, I turned to local pro/coach/ fitter and super nice guy Andy Applegate. Andy has recently switched from road to endurance MTB and has been ripping it up....and winning. Click here for his race reports. I asked Andy the same question. He took the time to write a long e-mail, although if he types as fast as he rides, that did not take long. His response was, in a nutshell, specificity. I need to be doing training specific to the racing that I am doing: ie. endurance.

Great info for me to go on. The e-mail had lots more info but I'll not share his secrets.

What does that mean for me? Basically that I will be trading some of the short sprint type interval workouts for some longer aerobic/ race pace workouts.

Some day I'm going to hire a coach to help me out with this stuff on a daily or weekly basis. I could hire a coach now, but then I wouldn't have the money to replace bike parts..or pay for entry fees.

Oh well, the upside is that I am getting stronger, and I am having fun.

So, I'm gonna get out, give it everything and then go home satisfied.

Have a great day.

No comments: