Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Waiting..

Easier said than done. As hard as I am trying to wait and see what is going to happen, I still mull it over in my head. I was sitting at work feeling sorry for myself and decided to take the rest of the day off, and go do something constructive, literally. I was get ready to leave the office to go work on the house, my awesome never-ending project, when my cell phone rang. I immediately recognized the number as my dentist's.

Hesitantly, I answered. The cheery receptionist on the other end informed me that if I could get there in 45 minutes, they could take care of my two fillings, (old fillings that needed work), and the crown ( old crown that needs to be replaced), could be done in January.

This was not really the way that I wanted to spend my afternoon, but I went for it because, then it would be done with.

As I was sitting in the waiting room, I started to wonder. Why is it that all of the staff are so cheery? In fact, I know several dentists, and while they are all very nice people, they are a little too cheery when it comes time to give shots and drill on your teeth. And then I started to think that there must be some sort of masochism involved. Because when the dentist pulls out that 2 foot long polish stainless steel syringe, the one that was used in the middle ages as a torture device, there is a little twinkle in their eye that lights up when they say, " This is going to hurt a little bit".

At that point I got called back. It was my turn and I was not looking forward to it. But it had to be done, unless I want to lose all of my teeth.

As I lay in the chair, getting stuck with needles, and drilled on , suctioned, sprayed, rinsed, the cheeriness continued. Chit chat about music, where to park, what to eat...... I learned all kinds of things about my dentist!!

As I headed out the door though, I realized how nice it was to have a dentist who is confident in what they do, efficient and genuinely cares. If you need a good dentist in Asheville, call Dr Rodriguez. I had one other dentist group in my life who really took care of me in the past who I want to give props to. Young and Associates in Shelby, NC.

After getting home, since I was feeling motivated and could not eat, I got started on the house project, and was thankful that I have friends and family around me who care!!!

Have a great day.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Hey -- glad you three are safe! And yes, the waiting is the hardest part :-) but opportunities present themselves sometimes when you least expect it. And thanks for the dentist recommendation!

Have a very Merry Christmas!

My name is Stephen said...

Thanks Chris, I forget that you need new docs and all that, we have a superb pediactric doc too. Let me know anything else you need.

Merry Christmas to you too!!

My name is Stephen said...

Thanks Chris, I forget that you need new docs and all that, we have a superb pediactric doc too. Let me know anything else you need.

Merry Christmas to you too!!