Thursday, September 03, 2009

US National Road Championships


Georgie: all the way on the other side of the road in yellow and white.

The 3 stooges: Mike, Roger and Mike.

Cool VW Van, these guys are in the way....

A look of disbelief that I didn't win the cap...


Last Sunday we went to Greenville for the US National Championship road race. I was beat from racing the previous day but we went anyway. Mike, Mike and Roger were going to meet us there so it was bound to be a fun time.

We first went to Spartanburg, because for some reason I thought it started there, I was wrong. When we finally got to downtown Greenville, it was blazing hot already. We walked around, went to the start /finish, but nothing was really going on yet.

On our way back to the van we passed the Bissell display. They had a bike set up and connected to a generator which was connected to a vacuum cleaner which was connected to a pump that was connected to a gauge that measured output in inches. If you generated enough power to get to 20 inches, you got a free cycling cap. I walked up, signed up, watched a guy do it. I got on the bike and failed. Ohhhh, I was mad. I should be able to do it. So, I took a break, watched two more people walk up and do it. Arrrrgh!. I got back on and got to 19.5 inches. Now I was really mad. So, close yet so far away.

Defeated, we left and headed to Paris Mtn to meet with the guys and watch some climbing action. The Colombians had gathered in mass to cheer George on and there was a small crowd of other folks setting up.

It was a fun time of hanging out, drawing KBS ( Kelly Benefit Strategies: supporters of World Bicycle Relief) , on the road in chalk, pushing the stragglers up the mtn, ( I pushed Floyd Landis ), eating, cheering and relaxing.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

Chris said...

"If you generated enough power to get to 20 inches, you got a free cycling cap."

That's what she said. :-)

Seriously, I have a love/hate relationship with those types of things. I always seem to have tired legs from racing, and can never produce the power I see on the road.