Wednesday, September 09, 2009

What I'm Eating

I took a 2.5 hr road ride last night. Got into the edge of a huge storm, but only rode in the rain for about 15 minutes. The air was chilly, hints of fall, leaves turning color and the race against the sun to get home before dark. Good ride.

So, for literally years now, I have been struggling with my nutrition. I've have to successful races in the past month and am really excited about the future.

I have yet to ride over 4 hrs but what I am eating now is very simple:

Electrolytes: I use nuun. It tastes good, its sugar free, and it is light. It also comes in yummy flavors and a waterproof tube that I stick in my jersey pocket in case I need a refill.

Complex Carbs: I use a Maltodextrin powder called Carbo Plus. Just google maltodextrin and lots of options come up. This is the main ingredient that is found in all sorts of gels and bars. The powders cost a whole lot less.

Simple Carbs: I use a form of fructose called honey. Honey is the bomb. I have a gel flask that I fill up and carry with me. I have not used it past 4 hrs yet, but am looking forward to it.

Hydration: Plain water. I finally found that I need plain water. I tried all sorts of things, but for some reason, my body needs plain water to digest the nutrients that I put in.

I have found that this combo gives me energy but does not give me the hypoglycemic crash that I have experienced before. Even after I get home, I'm not starving like I have been in the past.

Have a great day!!

No comments: