Sunday, September 13, 2009

Weekend Fun

Saturday I loaded the family up and we headed out to the Daniel Ridge trail head in Pisgah National Forest. We joined about 8 other people for the hike up to Farlow Gap Trail and then on up to the wash out. Our goal was to make this area of the trail safer.

It wasn't long before the group was gone and the 3 of us were left to get there when we could. That was fine, after all, I did not expect them to wait on little Jubal's short legs to get him there. However, not wanting to miss out on the majority of the work, Jubal spent a lot of time riding on my back, against his wishes. But he complied and we eventually got there.

They had been there for maybe 5 minutes and were already starting the job. This group was not going to mess around. Roughly 2 hrs later we were finished with the trail re-route and it looked good. You can't really tell by the picture so you are going to have to go see it for yourself.


Sunday I hit the road for a long ride. I was not exactly sure of my route but figured that Laurel Mtn would be a good start. I headed out the door, hit the Parkway, down through the Arboretum onto Hardtime Trail. Up the hill, I had the choice of riding gravel road to Bent Creek Gap Road or mixing in some single track. I did the latter. 1.5 hrs after leaving home, I got to BC Gap road where I joined up with Frank, OJ and some other Carolina Fatz guys. We chatted a little on the way up but then got spread out. Everyone going their own pace and chewing on their own thoughts.

Once at the gap, I stopped for a minute then continued on. I considered taking Spencer Branch to Trace but decided to save it for later. Through Mills River Campground and up Yellow Gap Road. I arrived at Laurel, nodded to 2 guys in the parking area, then started climbing. This was the first time on the new bike up on Laurel and it climbed like a champ. It was amazing, and while I did not clean everything, I probably cleaned about 50% more than in the past. Part of the stuff I didn't clean is sketchy and I didn't want to risk injury.

Laurel is a fun trail but you have to respect it. There are parts that level out and are easy, then it suddenly kicks you in the teeth if you are not pacing yourself well.

All the way up I was trying to figure out if I should head up to the parkway or head back down the loop to Yellow Gap Rd. Where the trail split, I realized that I was low on water and opted for the Parkway and re-supply at Pisgah Inn.

I was getting tired but the bike was still dancing up the rooty rocky trail and I was loving it.

Once at the top, I refilled and headed back down the pavement. I looked down and my speed was 38 mph. I considered dropping down Big Creek but passed. I still had some gas in the tank, so when I saw the sign to Bent Creek Gap, I hit the dirt again, down into Bent Creek. Again I had the option of gravel road or single track. I chose single track and took a left on Sidehill. Fun swooping downhill ride. The fun was over and if I headed home I would have time to hang out with my family.

But the fun was not quite over, I turned and head up Hardtimes again, just to get one more sustained climb in. One I got to the Parkway, I got on the pavement and followed it home.

I was excited after 6 hrs and 20 minutes of riding, I had ridden 64 miles.

Great weekend;

Have a great day.

No comments: