Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Do What You Love

I was thinking today about how I am not going to get nervous going into this weekend, and how I am going to control my pace, and not push too hard.  About how I am not going to let people passing me, get the best of me.  I thought about my nutrition strategy, and my race strategy, and how many laps I want to do. I even did the math, and figured out according to last year's lap times, how many laps I could do this year.

And then I started to get stressed, and get anxious and get worked up.

It was then that I realized.....I don't like to push the limits in that way.  I don't enjoy trying to be faster than the next person.  I don't enjoy getting worked up and stressing out when I miss a training day.  That is just not who I am.  That is not my personality.  It is great if that is what you do, I respect that.

I like to win,  who doesn't?  You get recognition and cool stuff.  And sometimes you get money!!!

But I don't manage the stress that comes with the winning drive, very well at all.

So, I'm going back to my roots.  Going back to where I was when I did my first road centuries, ( Ride For Raptors and Isaqueenas Last Ride), to my first off-road centuries ( The Iron Wheel 112 mile, the Cohutta 100 and the Burn 24).   I wasn't there to be the fastest, the get the prize.  I was there to challenge myself and to enjoy the satisfaction of giving it my best shot. I like to ride long,  and it's fine if I am out there solo.  As long as I am moving forward. 

I no longer feel the need to try to get as fast as Jeremiah Bishop, or outlast Andy Applegate.  I am who I am, and I am going to pursue what I enjoy:  riding my bike for long distances.

So, I'm still gonna train, still gonna push myself.  But, not so I can get a top 50, top 20 or top 3.  I'm gonna do it because I enjoy it.... a lot!!!!


Have a great day!

1 comment:

Chris said...

If it's not fun, it's not worth it! Now, I may yet be trying to outlast Andy, but in reality, I take a marathoner's approach to bike racing: I'm there to challenge myself, and "do better" than last time. I take victory in the small things -- it's great if I place better in the overall, but if I do just one thing better that's a challenge and lose 5 spots, who cares? I improved!