Thursday, March 25, 2010

Wake-Up

Have you ever heard people saying things like:"  wow, I feel like something great is going to happen", "  Get ready, because God is about to do something great",  or "as soon as my stars align" etc.  

As humans we tend to look for the things that are great, exciting, huge.  A fireworks display of glory,  a waterfall of excitement.  But, in our search for something "great"  we forget that we woke up this morning.  As far as I am concerned that is one of the greatest things that has ever happened.  I woke up.  All of the minute little things that had to happen for me to wake up, from the alarm on my watch, to the oxygen in my blood,  to most of the neurons firing in my brain.   That was great.

In my Environmental; Studies class in college, one of our activities was to go outside, sit on the ground and use a piece of string to form a 3 inch diameter circle.   We were to study the contents of that circle for 5 minutes ( a long time to sit still ), make notes and report what we found.  If you have never done this, you should try it.

I never knew that so much was going on in such a  small space.  Plants, bugs, dirt, sticks, etc. A lot of little things going on.  

So, don't always look for the big things.  I'm not saying I don't get excited about a fireworks show,  I do.  But don't be so consumed with looking for the big things, that you miss the little things.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good one.