Friday, March 12, 2010

Karma

I never believed in Karma....until last night.

After Kenda agreed to help help me out with some tires this year, I did a lot of research to figure out which ones to run.  Tubeless is a no brainer.  I got lots of good advice from lots of friends and made my choice.  If I didn't follow your advice, don't think I didn't chew on it for a long time.

Until now I have been riding a Maxxis Crossmark on the rear and a Bontrager Jones XR on the front.  While I have had success with these tires,  never had a flat or burped them,  I never felt really confident in the corners. 

Last night I got to try out the Karmas in the worst conditions.  I was on private property and mostly double track so I did not have to worry about trail conditions.  There was mud and grime, and wet nasty mountain bike grime. I was impressed with the climbing, not once did I spin out, and with the descending. 

During descents I felt more response and more control. I rolled over some fairly techy terrain and let loose a little bit.  The tires gripped the wet rocks well and I got to the bottom of the hill in fine shape. 

What I did experience last night was chain suck.  Boooo.  That is the worst I have ever had, and I felt like crying.  I'm not sure why it was worse this time, and I think I have experienced this one time before. But never like this.   Time to call the bike shop, any ideas?

Have a great day.

1 comment:

gleister said...

Karmas are a fantastic tire. Not the best up front but yeah the rear traction is spot on. I used the 1.9 front and rear for Cohutta last year. Light and super fast on the fire roads. Greg