Thursday, March 18, 2010

Positive

Chris sent me a message reminding me that it is sometimes impossible to remove oneself from negativity.  He reminded me that in that situation, reaction is what is important.  Reacting in a positive way to a negative person can be a challenge, but it is quite important.   There seem to be several responses to negativity.

After thinking it through some more, I realized that the following are some of my responses:

Sometimes I withdraw.  I say all kinds of things in my head,  most of which if said out loud would make the situation worse.....but they sure are funny.  I get quiet.  I have found that sometimes to say something to someone who does not "get it" in the first place, will not do any good at all, and in fact will exacerbate ( good word ) the issue.

Other times I respond with something positive.  For instance.  Last fall, some friends of mine were complaining about how it never snows around here, and if it were going to be cold, why couldn't it snow...blah blah blah.  Guess what? They got snow!!!!  And then halfway through the winter, who is complaining about snow?  Yup,  the same friends.  I gently reminded them that they had begged for it and now they had it.  They didn't really complain about it anymore!!
Thanks Chris for the reminder.

So,  if you are being negative, then start being positive.  

Have a great day.

No comments: